Friday, February 16, 2007

Love is Holy, Part 2


by Carletta D. Jemison
Now the God of peace, that brought again from the dead our Lord Jesus, that great shepherd of the sheep, through the blood of the everlasting covenant, 13:21 Make you perfect in every good work to do his will, working in you that which is wellpleasing in his sight, through Jesus Christ; to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen
. Hebrews 13:20-21
The Garden Tomb
www.bibleplaces.com
Love is Holy, Part 2

God is love.

Love is holy.

Love knows what is appropriate. According to 1 Corinthians 13:5, love "[d]oth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil;...."

God's love knows how to operate in the varied circumstances and relationships of life. When His love is operating in us, we will experience that same wisdom in operation.

God's love knows how to flow between the husband and wife who are yielded to His power rather than their own. God is love and God is holy. The love between husband and wife is holy because of the covenant of marriage. God honors godly marriage. He is in it. God's love between the husband and wife yielded to Him bows to the limit of marital exclusivity. They guard their hearts and minds against all breaches or intruders, keeping themselves true to one another before Him.

God's love knows how to flow through parents who are yielded to Him. After all, He is Father God. He knows something about having the highest expectation for a child only to have him make other choices. (Remember Adam and Eve!) In fact, as God's love works in the parents, a lot of what the children are taught is caught through their observations of how the parents interact with each other and with them. Godly parents protect their children and allow them to grow up rather than forcing them out without the proper tools because they want their lives back.

God's love, the same love that grants marital liberty, gives boundaries to the expression of love between unmarried men and women. God is love and God is holy. When, then, the unmarried meet and enjoy Christian fellowship, they do not stumble over or kick against the limits placed on the relationship through God's love, God's lordship over their lives and faith in His wisdom. As a matter of fact, they rejoice and thrive in it.

God's love between friends is rich and true. God's love between friends knows what is appropriate because God is love and God is holy. The holiness of His love inspires them to act with fidelity, unselfishness to provoke to love and good works. All that would be welcome in His holy, loving presence is theirs to appreciate and enjoy. Friends don't let friends run amuck!

God's love is working through yielded teachers and students; employers and employees; church leaders and congregations. He's right there to turn our hearts in a holy and loving direction. When He isn't holding the reins of our lives firmly in His hand, we see yet another sad result. Love helps us sort through the impossible menu of options and still say, "Lord, I choose You."

Love secures the boundaries of acceptability, not by brute strength or human will, but by helping our hearts to acknowledge that He is very present and will aid us in how best to handle those in our lives...who belong to Him.

We loose sight of a sense of appropriateness when He ceases to be our focus. The more we look to others, the world system, political correctness, error-laden splinter groups or the will of the flesh, the more the pendulum of our lives swings to the beggarly elements so ready to enslave us to those things of which we will be eternally ashamed.

His limits provide boundaries along the path that leads to His best. Did not Jesus say, "...I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me." (John 14:6) Why are the boundaries necessary?

God has a specific thing in mind for His children. He wants our lives to be strewn with blessings, the evidence of His presence.

Psalm 16:11
Thou wilt shew me the path of life: in thy presence is fulness of joy; at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore.

He wants us, like the skilled matador, to side-step the pitfalls of life.

2 Peter 1:4
Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.

His limits ensure that we reach our wealthy place...that place of the promise fulfilled.

Psalm 66:12
Thou hast caused men to ride over our heads; we went through fire and through water: but thou broughtest us out into a wealthy place.

Perhaps you have listened to other voices concerning what is appropriate. Now, you are unable to look up for shame, despair and heaviness. But "[t]o day, after so long a time; as it is said, To day if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts." (Hebrews 4:7) Do not resist Who He is or what He offers another moment. He is your God and Jesus Christ is His Son who speaks to you today.

Acknowledge today that you have stepped away from Him. Admit that you need Him. Allow His words and eternal Love to wash over your life. He now calls you back to the path of life in Him.

At the Altar:

If you have never acknowledged God, you can do so now and He will receive You. Take His hand, now.

Father, I never realized how much I need Your love, but now I come asking you to be my Savior. Forgive me of every sin I have committed. Teach me Your ways and lead me in Your righteousness. Create in me a clean heart. Now, fill me with Your Holy Spirit and teach me to hear and follow You in all things. Amen

Maybe you have been on the religious scene. You might even be a regular at church, but haven't allowed God's holy love to move you to obedience and commitment. Yield now to the compelling love of God drawing you to Himself.

Lord, I ask that your grace be upon me as I bow in repentance. I have sought to do it mh and teach me Your ways. Thank you for turning my heart fully to follow you in all things. Amen.

Rejoice and take comfort in His words to you:

John 6:37
All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out.

Lord, I ask that your grace be upon me as I bow in repentance. I have sought to do it my way. I have listened to everyone except you. My life is a mess and I'm not going to blame anyone else for it. Remove my tendency to stray from You and take Your place as Lord of my life. Refresh my weary heart with Your Holy Spirit. Lead me into all truth and teach me Your ways. Thank You for turning my heart fully to follow You in all things. In Jesus' Name, Amen.

Reading the Psalms!

As you read through the 150 chapters of the Book of Psalms, you'll soon discover that many of the things you feel and experience are shared in the text. If you read 5 chapters each day, you'll read through the entire Book of Psalms in a month.

I can hear you! You're already reading Proverbs! Well, read the Psalms during your lunch break, during the drive to or from work. You might want to start your day with the Psalms.

We thank God for you and believe that He is drawing you to Himself. Remember: There is no substitute for Him.

Please write us at CarJem@gmail.com.

We love hearing from you!

Now unto him that is able to keep you from falling, and to present you faultless before the presence of his glory with exceeding joy, To the only wise God our Saviour, be glory and majesty, dominion and power, both now and ever. Amen. Jude 1:24-25

No comments: